The Invisalign system straightens a patient’s teeth using a series of clear plastic trays that can be removed at mealtime and when the patient is brushing and flossing. This innovative treatment offers patients a number of benefits. Here is an overview of five of them:
- Convenience: Patients switch out the trays on their own according to the schedule provided by their orthodontist. This eliminates the need for adjustments to appliances and reduces the number of office visits that are necessary. As long as you wear the trays for the recommended amount of time each day and are conscientious about switching out the trays, you’ll only have to come to the office periodically to have your treatment progress monitored.
- Comfort: For many patients, the idea of working with an orthodontist conjures thoughts of uncomfortable braces with wires and brackets that can poke and damage the soft tissues of your mouth. Invisalign trays have no such hard edges that can cut into the interior of your lips and cheeks.
- Improved appearance: One unfortunate aspect of conventional orthodontic treatment is that the brackets and wires obscure your smile for the months (or years) that you are in treatment. Your teeth are still visible through the clear Invisalign trays, and casual observers are unlikely to even notice that you’re wearing the trays. You can see your smile improve in real time.
- Easier oral hygiene: The appliances used in braces restrict the patient’s access to the gum line, which can make it difficult to floss. Additionally, the brackets can trap food particles and keep them close to the teeth, and it’s harder to brush around those brackets. Invisalign trays are removed for the patient’s oral hygiene routine, which continues like normal.
- Varied diet: Patients who wore traditional braces undoubtedly can recount all of the favorite foods that they had to give up while undergoing treatment. Because you can take out the Invisalign trays to eat, there are no dietary restrictions (but you should still limit sugary snacks as a generally good practice for your oral health).
Interested in learning more about the benefits of Invisalign? Contact our team at Bunn Orthodontic Group to get more information on this treatment option.